Indian Tourist Visa Requirements for US Citizens:
A valid passport and visa are required to travel to India.
1. Passport Requirements:
Original, signed passport valid for 6 months from day of application, and with at least two blank visa pages for Indian visa stamps. Amendment pages are not acceptable for visa stamps.
One signed India visa application form plus one copy.
Only on-line Indian visa application forms are accepted. Once the application form has been printed, no corrections can be made. The Indian visa application form must be printed on two pages, and requires a signature on both pages. The applicant must sign under the photo on the first page, and at the bottom of the second page. Improperly completed India visa application forms will delay the processing of your visa
Please read the New India Visa Application Guide before you begin the online visa application form.
3. Photo Requirements:
One recent 2 x 2 passport type photograph, in color, front view and with a plain/white background. Glasses should not be worn in these photos; photos should not be stapled to the application.
4. Other Forms:
Proof of Residential Address: Clear photocopy of applicant’s proof of residence/address that matches the present address on the visa application exactly. Photocopy of state issued ID (Driver License or ID), major utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Sewage) or a copy of a valid/current lease containing both the landlord and tenant signatures must be submitted. Do not cut your driver’s license copy down to a smaller size. Please leave the copy on regular sized paper.
- Birth certificate copy copy or any government issued document which shows parents name, date of birth and nationality.
- US Born: Only birth certificates are accepted for applicants born in the US.
- Born Abroad certificate : If the applicant is born abroad as a United States citizen, a copy of the Born Abroad certificate issued by the state department must be presented.
- India Born: Those born in India can use their birth certificate, old Indian passport or school leaving certificate
- All Others Citizens: The minor applicant not born in the US or India should submit a birth certificate or any government document from the country of origin that has parents name, date of birth and nationality. The documents must be translated into English and notarized.
- Parents Signed : A copy of the vital page(s) containing the picture and signature page of both parents signed passports
- Visa applications for minors should have the applicant (minor) sign or print their names on the first page in the signature box under the photo. If the minor cannot sign or print his/her name a thumb print with black or blue ink must be placed in the signature box. Note: Applications without the minors thumb print on the first page will not be accepted.
- Visa applications for minors should contain both parent’s signatures which have been duly notarized with a notary stamp and seal on the second page only, minors do not sign the second page of the application. Note: Applications without both parent’s signatures will not be accepted child above 5 years: signature under the photograph is mandatory. Below 5 years, thump print. Parents’ signatures are not permissible
- Visa Application for a child (minor), the second page of the Application Form must be signed by both the parents and the same must be Notarized.For Indian origin: For people of Indian origin applying for a Visa (any category) or OCI, a copy of Renunciation Certificate / Surrender Certificate and a copy of Naturalization certificate (both the documents) is mandatory. To know more about documents required for Renunciation Certificate Click here.
6. For Applicants applying for OCI and Renunciation together, or Visa and Renunciation together, the supporting documents must be attached separatelyfor both the applications, including the common documents. For example, a copy of Driver’s License should be attached with Visa Application and a copy with Renunciation Application
7. If there is a name change after or at the time of Naturalization, then Name Change Application, Name Change Deed along with the Court Order for such Name Change must be annexed with the documents.
8. In case of those applicants who have not obtained their Renunciation Certificate earlier and are now applying for Renunciation along with their Visa Application, the time taken for processing of visa could be 2-3 weeks.
9. To facilitate expeditious visa processing, applicants are requested to do the following:
10. Visa application with all the completed documents, and the Application Form for Renunciation, are to be sent to the BLS in one envelope, along with Two (2 Nos.) self-addressed return envelopes – one for returning of passport with visa, and the other for sending the Renunciation Certificate separately later.
11. Applicants acquired naturalization after 2006 are required to submit their original Indian passport.
12. Applicants acquired naturalization after 2004 are required to submit copy of their naturalization certificate.
13. For Houston:
In case of minors-Both parents signatures are required on application form & copy of driver license/Indian passport is required for both parents.
14. Important: If applying for Visa and Renunciation, OCI and Renunciation, PIO and Renunciation, Please use same envelope (one envelope only) to send you postal applications.
India Visa Validity:
Visas are usually granted for 6 months or 1 year. Visas may be issued for 5 or 10 years at the discretion of the Indian Consulate. No refunds will be issued if a lesser validity is granted by the Indian Consulate than was originally requested.
Important: Travelers must leave India on or before the expiration of their visa. Travelers who remain in India beyond the validity of their visa could face detention and significant penalties. If your intended length of stay in India exceeds the validity of your existing visa, you must apply for a new visa.
Processing Times and Fees:
10-12 Business days
Multiple Entry 6 months: $60
Multiple Entry 5 years: $150
Multiple Entry 10 years: $150
Demand draft/ Money order favoring “BLS INTERNATIONAL SERVICES USA INC
Send documents to:
BLS India Visa, USA
5775, Glenridge Drive,
Building B,Suite 380, Atlanta,
Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia
Washington DC Application Center –
800 K Street NW, Suite MR-12,
Washington DC 20001 USA
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont.
New York, NY Application Center –
Suite # 202
28 West, 30th Street,
NewYork 10001, USA
Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
San Francisco, CA Application Center –
4837 Geary Blvd,
San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin
Chicago, IL Application Center –
29 East Madison St,
Chicago, IL 60602, USA
Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Nebraska
Houston, TX Application Center –
9800 Northwest Fwy,
Houston, TX 77092 USA
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virgin Islands
Atlanta, GA Application Center –
Lakeside Office Park 5775 Glenridge Drive,,
North East, Building B Suite 390, 30328, USA