Read below to learn about an India Tourist Visa.
Table of Contents
India Tourist Visa Requirements for U.S. Citizens
To begin with, you must have a valid passport and visa to travel to India.
1. Passport Requirements
Original, signed passport valid for 6 months from day of application, and with at least two blank visa pages for Indian visa stamps.
Amendment pages are not acceptable for visa stamps.
One (1) signed India visa application form, plus an additional copy.
Only online Indian visa application forms are acceptable. Importantly, once you print the application form, you cannot make any corrections.
Also, you must print the Indian visa application form on two (2) pages. Moreover, it requires a signature on both pages. You must sign under the photo on the first page, and at the bottom of the second page.
NOTE: In addition, if you improperly complete the India visa application forms, you will delay the processing of your India Tourist Visa.
3. Photo Requirements
One (1) recent 2 x 2 passport photograph, in color, front view and with a plain/white background. Do not wear glasses in these photos or staple your photos to the application.
4. Other Forms of Proof
Proof of Residential Address: (1) Clear photocopy of applicant’s proof of residence/address that matches the present address on the visa application exactly, or (2) Photocopy of state issued ID (driver’s license or ID), or a Major utility bill (water, gas, electric, sewage), or a copy of a valid/current lease containing both the landlord and tenant signatures.
NOTE: Importantly, do NOT cut your driver’s license copy down to a smaller size. Please leave the copy on regular-sized paper.
Individuals of Indian Origin
5. For people of Indian origin applying for a Visa (any category), or Overseas Citizens of India (OCI): Remember, a copy of Renunciation Certificate / Surrender Certificate and a copy of Naturalization certificate (both the documents) is mandatory.
6. For applicants applying for OCI and Renunciation together OR Visa and Renunciation together:
The supporting documents must be attached separately for both the applications, including the common documents.
For example, a copy of Driver’s License should be attached with Visa Application and a copy with Renunciation Application
7. In the event an applicant did not obtain his or her Renunciation Certificate earlier and plans to apply for Renunciation along with the Visa Application:
Generally, the processing time of an India Tourist Visa could be 2-3 weeks.
Documentation for Minors
- Birth certificate copy or any government-issued document that shows your parents’ names, date of birth and nationality.
- U.S. Born: Only birth certificates are acceptable if you were born in the United States.
- Born Abroad Certificate: If you were born abroad as a U.S. citizen, you must present a copy of the Born Abroad certificate from the Department of State.
- India Born: Any individual who was born in India may use their birth certificate, old Indian passport or school leaving certificate.
- All Others Citizens: Notably, the minor applicant not born in the United States or India should submit a birth certificate or any notarized government document from the country of origin with the parents’ names, dates of birth and nationalities.
- Parents’ Signature: Also, bring a copy of the vital page(s) containing the picture and signature page of both parents’ signed passports.
Speedy Indian Tourist Visa Processing
To facilitate speedy India Tourist Visa processing, you must:
- Firstly, complete a Indian Tourist Visa Application with all the documents, and the Application Form for Renunciation.
- Next, attach two (2) self-addressed return envelopes:
- One for returning of passport with visa
- The other for sending the Renunciation Certificate separately
- Afterwards, send to the BLS in one envelope.
Name Change at Naturalization
If there is a name change after or at the time of Naturalization:
In this case, you’ll need to submit Name Change Application, Name Change Deed along with the Court Order for such Name Change must be annexed with the documents.
India Visa Validity
Presently, an India Tourist Visa is valid for either 6 months or 1 year (or 5 or 10 years at the discretion of the Indian Consulate).
In addition, the Indian consulate issues no refunds when it grants a lesser validity than what you originally requested.
IMPORTANT: Notably, travelers must leave India on or before the expiration of their visas. In short, travelers who remain in India beyond the validity of their visa could face detention and significant penalties. Important to realize, if your intended length of stay in India exceeds the validity of your existing visa, you must apply for a new visa.
India Tourist Visa Processing Times & Fees
10-12 Business days
- Multiple Entry: 6 months: $60 | 5 years: $150 | 10 years: $150
Generally, you can submit a DEMAND DRAFT or MONEY ORDER favoring “BLS INTERNATIONAL SERVICES USA INC.”
Then, send documents to:
BLS India Visa, USA
5775, Glenridge Drive
Building B, Suite 380
Atlanta, GA 30328, USA
Additionally, Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia
Washington DC Application Center
800 K Street NW, Suite MR-12
Washington, D.C., 20001 USA
Additionally, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont.
New York, NY Application Center
28 West 30th Street, Suite # 202
New York, NY 10001, USA
- Firstly, applicants who acquired naturalization AFTER 2006 must submit their original Indian passports.
- Secondly, applicants who acquired naturalization AFTER 2004 must submit copy of their naturalization certificates.
Additionally, Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
San Francisco, CA Application Center
4837 Geary Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Additionally, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin
Chicago, IL Application Center
29 East Madison St, Suite 1203
Chicago, IL 60602,USA
Additionally, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Nebraska
Houston, TX Application Center
9800 Northwest Fwy, Suite 602
Houston, TX 77092, USA
- Importantly, in the case of minors, both parents signatures must be on the application form & attach a copy of driver license/Indian passport for both parents.
- Also, if applying for Visa and Renunciation, OCI and Renunciation, PIO and Renunciation, please use same envelope (one envelope only) to send your application.
Additionally, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virgin Islands
Atlanta, GA Application Center
Lakeside Office Park
5775 Glenridge Drive
North East, Building B Suite 390
Atlanta, GA 30328, USA
Additional Minor Information
With the visa applications for minors, the minor must sign or print his or her name on the first page in the signature box under the photo.
- Moreover, if the applicant cannot sign or print his or her name, place a thumb print with black or blue ink in the signature box. NOTE: Applications without the minors thumb print on the first page will not be acceptable.
- Also, India Tourist Visa applications for minors should contain both parent’s signatures which have been duly notarized with a notary stamp and seal on the second page only. Important to realize, minors do not sign the second page of the visa application.
- Lastly, applications without both parent’s signatures are not acceptable for a child older than 5 years old. In fact, a signature under the photograph is mandatory. On the other hand, if your child is younger than 5 years old, he or she needs a thump print. Also, parents’ signatures are not permissible.