Travel to Canada with a Felony or Minor Conviction

Canada travel felony

Travel to Canada with a Felony or Minor Conviction

Traveling to Canada is easy and convenient for most U.S. citizens. All you need is a passport to travel to Canada, as no visa is required for trips under 180 days long. If you are flying in to Canada, you will need a passport book, but if you plan to visit Canada by land or sea, you can use a passport card.

It is important for travelers to know the reasons entrance to Canada can be denied. If you have a felony or misdemeanor offense or even a DUI. Fortunately, travelers to Canada can now apply for the Temporary Residence Permit at the border point of entry.

If you have a felony or a minor conviction on your record, you may need to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. The TRP can be secured at the border entry of Canada. If you have a single misdemeanor conviction, DUIs, and other minor offenses, you may be asked to apply for the TRP. The Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) should not be confused with the Temporary Residence Visa (TRV). The TRV is required for travelers that need a visa to enter Canada, and does not apply here. The Canadian Border Services Agency (border guard) can use their discretion to determine if an individual can be allowed entrance into Canada. 


Nexus Traveler Program

U.S. Citizens do not need a visa if they are going as a tourist for less than 180 days. Frequent travelers are encouraged to join the NEXUS trusted traveler program, which provides members with a special travel card that allows them to move through the border crossings quicker. But for the average traveler or tourist, simply having proof of citizenship and a photo ID is all one needs to take a trip to Canada.


Travel to Canada with a Minor

Traveling to Canada with a minor is easy. All U.S. Citizens traveling in and out of the country need a passport. This includes minors, children, and toddlers. Minors who are not your own child or whom you do not have full legal custody are only allowed if you present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents. This paper must include travel dates, photocopies of their state-issued IDs, and the names of the parents.

Facebook Comments