Secondary Evidence of Identification

Secondary evidence of identification is required if you do not have adequate primary identification when you visit the acceptance agent. We often recommend that you bring in additional evidence of ID regardless, just in case there is an issue. Supplemental forms of ID will help the acceptance agent when it comes to verifying your identity and documents. If you cannot present primary identification, you must submit as much secondary identification as possible.

A Combination of Identifying Documents

As mentioned above, we recommend that you bring in as many forms of ID as possible. If your ID is new (less than 6 months old), it is imperative that you bring additional identification forms. Present a combination of documents that can be used to verify your personal identity. These documents are not acceptable as secondary identification when presented alone.

Example: Social Security Card + Credit Card + Employee ID + Library Card

An Identifying Witness

An identifying witness is a person who can swear to your identity. He or she must:

  • Be present at the time of application,
  • Have known you for at least 2 years,
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
  • Have primary valid ID, and
  • Fill out Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness in the presence of a Passport Agent.

Proof of Identity

For additional information on proof of identity, please visit our Proof of Identity Checklist.

• Provide a copy (Front and Back) of applicants valid driver’s license.

(Note: Applicants drivers license must be valid for at least 6 months)

• If applicant does not have a valid drivers license or it has been recently issued you are required to appear at the passport acceptance agent with an identifying witness, who has a drivers license or a valid passport.

(A permit or non-driver ID is not considered a valid drivers license).

• It helps to provide copies of at least three supplemental Identification documents to avoid any delays in processing your application with the U.S. Department of State.

• If you are doing a name change it is required you submit your original marriage license, divorce decree, or name change decree. Acceptable Supplemental Identification:

– Non Drivers ID Card– Library Card– Lease Agreement
– Work Identification– Credit Card– Voters Registration Card
– Social Security Card– School ID– Baptismal Certificate
– Health Insurance Card– High School Year Book– Tax Records
Facebook Comments