Proof of Identity for Parents is required for Child (Minor) Passport Applications. Please make sure you provide adequate proof of relationship.

  • You must provide ONE of the following documents as proof of Relationship:
  • If the above mentioned Identification isn’t available, then you need to supply an Alternate Proof of Identity
  • Both parent’s current, valid Driver’s License with Photo (must be issued greater than 6 months ago)
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents’ names); or
  • Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if necessary); or
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents’ names); or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents’ names); or
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
  • Court Order Establishing Custody; or
  • Court Order Establishing Guardianship.
  • NOTE: If the parent or guardian name is different than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.
  • IMPORTANT:  Both parents must appear in person at a post office or court house and present the original documents to an acceptance agent which is authorized to accept passport applications. If both parents are not available, the absentee parent must fill out a consent form DS-3053  which allows the one parent to apply for the passport. This form must be notarized and the notary cannot hand write the expiration date. It must be part of their stamp. Please contact our office at 877-910-7277 if you have any questions.



Passport Proof of Identity

  • Certificate of Citizenship (If you are missing your birth certificate, you may order an Express Birth Certificate Replacement here.)
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Previous U.S. passport (mutilated, altered, or damaged passports are not acceptable as proof of identity).
  • Current, valid: 1) Driver’s license issued more than 6 months ago or 2) Government ID: city, state, federal or 3) Military ID: military and dependent

NOTE: Your Social Security Card does not prove your identity. If you need to submit supplemental ID, please visit our Supplemental Secondary Identification Page. Secondary evidence of identification is required if you do not have adequate primary identification when you visit the acceptance agent. We often recommend that you bring in additional evidence of ID regardless, just in case there is an issue. Supplemental forms of ID will help the acceptance agent when it comes to verifying your identity and documents. If you cannot present primary identification, you must submit as much secondary identification as possible.


You can use one of the following documents as passport proof of identity:

  • Provide a copy (Front and Back) of applicants valid driver’s license. (Note: Applicants drivers license must be valid for at least 6 months)
  • If applicant does not have a valid drivers license or it has been recently issued you are required to appear at the passport acceptance agent with an identifying witness, who has a drivers license or a valid passport. (A permit or non-driver ID is not considered a valid drivers license).
  • It helps to provide copies of at least three supplemental Identification documents to avoid any delays in processing your application with the U.S. Department of State.
  • If you are doing a name change it is required you submit your original marriage license, divorce decree, or name change decree. Acceptable Supplemental Identification:
– Non Drivers ID Card– Library Card– Lease Agreement
– Work Identification– Credit Card– Voters Registration Card
– Social Security Card– School ID– Baptismal Certificate
– Health Insurance Card– High School Year Book– Tax Records


A Combination of Identifying Documents

As mentioned above, we recommend that you bring in as many forms of ID as possible. If your ID is new (less than 6 months old), it is imperative that you bring additional identification forms. Present a combination of documents that can be used to verify your personal identity. These documents are not acceptable as secondary identification when presented alone.

Example: Social Security Card + Credit Card + Employee ID + Library Card

An Identifying Witness

An identifying witness is a person who can swear to your identity. He or she must:

  • Be present at the time of application,
  • Have known you for at least 2 years,
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
  • Have primary valid ID, and
  • Fill out Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness in the presence of a Passport Agent.


Name Change

If you changed your legal name by way of marriage or otherwise you will need to provide evidence of the name change: a certified copy of either
– A marriage certificate, or
– A name change court decree.

If none of the above listed documents are available, you will need:

1. Some signature documents, not acceptable alone as ID (ex: a combination of documents, such as your Social Security card, credit card, bank card, library card, etc.) AND
2. A person who can vouch for you. He/she must:
Have known you for at least 2 years,
Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
Have valid ID, and
Fill out a Form DS-71 in the presence of a passport agent.

Facebook Comments