Do Pets Need Passports?

Do Pets Need Passports?

Yes! Pets need passports too!

Are you shocked? It’s true, you aren’t the only living thing that needs a passport to travel internationally. In order to have your pet tag along with you overseas, he or she will need as passport too!!


The system which allows animals to travel between member countries without undergoing quarantine is called The Pet Travel Scheme (“PETS”). A pet passport however is simply a document that provides official records of information needed to get your pet to it’s new home or visiting location. By having a passport for your pet it provides a simple and fast travel system between member countries. These same requirements are also necessary if you are moving from the mainland USA to Hawaii. So even if you are in California and you want to move with your dog to Hawaii, you will need to follow these requirements.


In order to get your pet passport the following items will be required:


1. Microchip: In order to prove your pet’s identity each pet will need to have a microchip which complies with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785.

*The microchip implantation MUST BE DONE BEFORE the rabies vaccination.


2. Rabies Vaccination & Certificate: All pets must prove that they have received a rabies vaccination. Therefore you must have an original Rabies Certificate and this certificate must state the microchip number, the date of inoculation and the validity of the particular vaccination that the pet obtained as some rabies vaccinations are good for two years while others are only good for one.


3. Rabies Titer / FAVN-OIE Tests:  FAVN or Fluorescent Antibody Viral Neutralization (FAVN) Blood Test ensures that the rabies vaccinations have provided adequate rabies antibody levels and will need to be approved by an approved Government Facility prior to export (i.e. the USDA).


There is a ‘Six Month Wait’ that begins at the day that blood is drawn. Make sure you are planning ahead when traveling with a pet in order to give yourself enough time to receive the passport.

The blood test results must show 0.5 IU/ml or above in order to qualify for entry.


4. Letter From Your Vet: A typed letter from your vet on the Vet’s Company Letterhead is required. The letter must state the date the microchip was implanted along with the microchip number and the Pets information such as name, breed, sex & age.

* Please note – if the Rabies Vaccination and the date the blood was drawn were done on the same day, please state that the vaccination was given BEFORE the blood was drawn.


5. EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#: 998) – The EU Vet Health Certificate is the required standard Health Certificate that must be filled out by your accredited Veterinarian.

*This certificate is only valid for 4 months after filled out by your Veterinarian, therefore it is better to not get this issued too early.


6. USDA Endorsement:  The above referenced forms which include:

  • Microchip Implantation Record

  • Rabies Certificate

  • Rabies Titer Test Results

  • Vet Letter

  • EU Vet Health Certificate

Must be sent to your local USDA in order to receive their stamp of approval.


7. Final Step: Within 24-48 hours prior to departure you will need to go back to your Veterinarian in order for them to issue both an International Health Certificate and proof that Tick/Tapeworm Treatments they have administered.

pet passport

We know this process may be lengthy but it will keep your pet out of quarantine when traveling internationally!

Do Pets Need Passports? Yes! But not like you do. A human passport is a book or passport card, which is required to leave and enter the country. Don’t forget that YOU also need a passport to travel internationally along with your pet. A private expediting service can get you your passport within 2 weeks of your departure date.

Facebook Comments