Which Passport Do I Need?

Which passport do I need?Applying for a passport is an important part of life, travel, and citizenship. Passports come in many different types. There are minor passports (only valid for 5 years), adult passports (valid for 10 years), limited temporary passports, duplicate passports, renewals, replacements, and new passports. Which passport do you need? This post will help you identify which application you must submit.

When are you traveling?

If you don’t have travel plans anytime soon (within the next month), then you must apply at a local passport acceptance facility. This will be routine processing for 4-6 weeks. Please visit out Passport Processing Times Explanation Page for more info.

If you are planning to travel within the next month, then you may qualify for expedited passport service. You must have confirmed travel plans in order to qualify for expedited passport processing. This usually includes flight itinerary, e-tickets, or an official business letter. Please review our Proof of Travel Plans page or see the recent blogpost on Fastport Passport for specific information on what is required by the U.S. State Department.


Adult Renewal Passports

The only passport type that does not require proof of travel plans is if you are renewing an adult passport. This passport must be issued after the applicant was 16 years old or older. The passport must be valid (not lost, stolen, or damaged) and less than 5 years expired. If this is you, you can apply for an expedited passport renewal. Please visit out Passport Renewal Checklist for the documents and procedure.


Child Minor Passports

If the applicant is 15 or under, then no matter what- they MUST apply for a new minor (child) passport. There are no minor renewals. Each time (every 5 years) it just be submitted as new, until the applicant is 16 or old and can apply as a new first time adult passport. The minor passport can be expedited if you have confirmed travel plans within the next two weeks or four weeks if a visa is required. Please visit out Child Passport Checklist for documents and procedure.

Adult Passports

Applicants that are 16 and over will need to apply for a new adult passport, even if they had a passport as a minor (15 and younger). If you have confirmed travel plans within the next two weeks or four weeks if you need a visa, then you can apply for a New Adult Passport expedited. Please follow our New Adult Passport Checklist. If you had a passport as an adult but it is more than 5 years expired, then you need to apply for a new adult passport. If it is less than 5 years expired, you can submit a renewal application.


Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Passports

Adult passports that are lost, stolen, or damaged will need to be replaced using the appropriate checklist. Again, you only qualify for this service to be expedited if you have confirmed travel plans within the next two weeks or four weeks if you need a visa. Please select the correct checklist that you need.


Name Change Passport

If your passport is less than one year old, you can submit a name change application passport form. If your passport is more than one year old, you will be doing a passport renewal. Please review our post here for further detail!


Second Duplicate Passport

A Second Duplicate Passport can only be applied for if you currently have your passport in your possession. You need to send in your current passport to get a temporary one year duplicate passport. This is a unique scenario, in the event that you must apply for a visa and you plan to travel at the same time and need the passport. Additionally, applicants may apply for a second duplicate passport if they are visiting two countries that are in conflict with one another and having a visa or stamp in their passport can cause them issues.


Add Visa Pages

If you want to add additional visa passport pages, you can apply for expedited service only if you have proof of travel plans. You can submit your passport in for a renewal though and request a 52 page book for no additional charge if your passport is close to expiring anyway.


Additional Questions?

Please feel free to contact us on the chat box to the bottom right, or email us, or call us! We’d love to help you get your passport fast!

Facebook Comments