U.S. Passport Renewal

Passport Renewal

Passport Renewal

On this page, learn you’ll learn how to quickly renew a U.S. Passport by mail or expedited service. If you have upcoming travel plans, you may need an expedited passport.

US Passport Renewal

To begin with, passport renewal by mail is the most common method. When you renew your passport by mail, the process takes between 4-6 weeks.

Fastport Passport offers a faster way to get your passport renewal. Importantly, this government-registered service can expedite your passport renewal in as little as 24 hours.

Who is eligible for U.S. Passport Renewal Service?

You are eligible for a passport renewal by mail if you are an adult AND:

  • Your recent U.S. Passport is not damaged (normal “wear and tear” is okay).
  • It was issued within the last 15 years.
  • You were 16 years old or older when you got it.
  • It shows your current legal name (or can submit legal documents of the name change.)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must renew your passport in person with form DS-11.

Important to realize, children may only apply for a new passport. Once a child receives a passport at 16 years old, it will be eligible for renewal after 10 years.

NOTE: If you are using Form DS-82, you cannot renew in person at an acceptance facility. You must mail it in.

How to Renew Your U.S. Passport

NOTE: It is best to renew your passport at least 9 months before its expiration.

At this time, you can renew your passport by mail, in person, or by expedited service.

Renew By Mail

NOTE: Please see above to check eligibility for passport renewal by mail.

To renew your passport by mail, you’ll need to submit:

Mail your completed application, documents, photo and fees to:

Routine service (in CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, TX):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 640155
Irving, TX 75064-0155

Routine Service (in any other state or Canada):
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Expedited Service:  Write “EXPEDITE” on the envelope.
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955


  • Be sure to: use a large-enough envelope to fit the application with NO FOLDING.
  • Send your package via USPS with the trackable delivery method.

Renew In Person

To renew your US passport in person, make an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency and submit:

  • A completed Ds-82 Passport Application Form.
  • Your Passport Photo.
  • Your expired U.S. Passport.
  • Your original name change decree or marriage license (if applicable), such as:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court order.
  • Any applicable passport renewal fees.
    • Check or money order (made payable to U.S. Department of State).

Renew By Expedited Service

NOTE: Please see Expedited Passport Service for a complete overview of passport expediting.

To apply for expedited service on your passport renewal application, you must:
  • Make an appointment and visit a regional passport agency.
  • Call the National Passport Information Center at (877) 487-2778.
  • Show proof of emergency or upcoming travel in person.
  • Pay your renewal expedited fee of $60, in addition to the passport renewal fee.

IMPORTANT: If you’d like to receive your passport sooner than the 2-3 week expedited processing time, you may use a passport expeditor service to get your passport within 2 weeks (or as quickly as 24 hours). However, you still need to visit a regional passport agency.

Passport Renewal Fees:

For specific details on US passport pricing, please see Passport Fees.

Routine Service for Adult Passport Renewal
(16 years old and older):

  • U.S. Passport Book Renewal: $110.
  • U.S. Passport Card Renewal: $30.
  • U.S. Passport Book & Passport Card Renewal: $140.

EXPEDITED SERVICE: Add $60 (2-3 week service)

Passport Photo Creator Passport Renewal

Passport Renewal Processing Times:

  • Routine Service: 6-8 weeks (by mail or in person), if you are NOT traveling within the next 30 days.
  • Expedited service: 2-3 weeks (by mail or in person).
  • Expedited service at a regional passport agency: 8 business days.
    • Recommended for immediate life or death emergencies or travel departures within 2 weeks.
    • Travel plans are not necessary for an expedited passport renewal.

NOTEIf you need a passport renewal more quickly, you can purchase an expedited passport renewal service with a government-registered courier service like Fastport Passport. The company can secure your passport renewal in 2 weeks or less, or as fast as 24 hours.

Common Passport Questions?

Q: How long is my passport valid?
A: Passports for adults are valid for 10 years but you are eligible to renew early should any descriptive data, or your physical appearance change.
Q: Do I need 6 months of passport validity on my passport to travel?
A: Yes. It is required to have at least 6 months of passport validity to travel internationally. However, some countries require you to have more than 3 months. Also, we recommend that you renew your passport prior to your travel, as the airport staff may reject it for not meeting this requirement.
Q: What happens to my expired passport?
A: When you apply for your renewal, the State Department will cancel your old passport by punching two holes in it. Accordingly, they will return back your expired passport along with your newly issued 10-year passport.
Facebook Comments