Passport Processing Times Explained
Passport processing times depend on how fast you need a passport. At this time, there are 2 ways to get a U.S. Passport. You can apply for routine passport processing OR expedited passport processing. Continue reading for specific details on Passport Processing Times Explained.
Routine Passport Processing Times
To begin with, the most common way to apply for a US passport is through routine processing. Routine processing occurs when you visit a Passport Acceptance Facility (a post office of county clerk office).
Routine passport processing time is 4- 6 weeks.
Expedited Passport Processing Times
If you need a passport faster than 4-6 weeks, you can get look into expedited passport processing through your local post office. Also, expedited processing at the post office is approximately 3 weeks.
Regardless of which expediting option you select, you’ll pay an additional expediting passport fee of $60. See Passport Fees Explained to learn more.
Options for Expedited Passports
To get a passport faster than 3 weeks, you have two options.
Option #1: Regional Passport Agency
Generally, the first option is only available to you if you live in a major city and can get an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency.
Expedited passport processing at a Regional Passport Agency is usually 1 week, but some locations offer passports on the same day or next day.
Option #2: Private Expediting Service
Next, the second option is a private expediting service. Of course, reputable agencies are registered with the U.S. Department of State. A private expeditor can secure your passport in 2 weeks or less. Read below for more details on Passport Processing Times Explained.
Private Expediting Service
Fastport Passport is a trusted private passport expediting company. Over the last 10 years, they’ve perfected the process of expediting passports. Knowing the passport processing times can help you make an informed decision as to whether Fastport Passport is the right service for you.
Additionally, processing times are based on when they receive the documents at their headquarters in Brooklyn, New York.
For instance, if you mail your documents and Fastport Passport receives them by Monday, they will submit your documents to U.S. State Department on the following business day (unless you make other arrangements).
- If you need a passport within 24 hours, contact Fastport Passport directly to make sure your documents are correct. You will receive your passport quickly. Remember that return shipping is generally next day/overnight, so expect another business day with the expedited option.
- If you need a passport by Friday and you submit your documents on Monday, your best bet is 1 business day or 2-3 business days. You will not get your passport on time if you choose 4-5 business days and you’re leaving on Friday.
By all means, please feel free to contact us for additional assistance.
Fastport Passport Expediting Options & Fees
|1 Business Day (24 hrs. post-delivery)||$349.00|
|2 Business Days||$299.00|
|3-4 Business Days||$249.00|
|5-7 Business Days||$199.00|
|8-14 Business Days||$149.00|
- Next Day Shipping ($30): Shipped overnight, arrives next day: 9 am – 12 pm.
- First Overnight Shipping ($80): Shipped overnight, arrives: 6 am – 8 am.
- Saturday Shipping ($60): Shipped on Friday, arrives on Saturday.
- Delta Dash ($125): Same-day flight delivery, if available.
- International FedEx ($100): May take 2 days due to custom’s clearance.
- Local Pick-Up ($0): Only available in New York (Brooklyn headquarters).
YouTube Video of Passport Processing Times Explained