Parental Consent is required for a minor passport (also known as a child passport). A minor passport is any applicant that is 15 years old or younger. The parents or guardians listed on the birth certificate must both be present at the acceptance agent. If there is only one parent or guardian listed on the birth certificate, then only that parent need be present. Parental consent is required for all child minor passport applications.


What if a parent is missing or in jail?

If one of the parents is not available to be present at the Passport Acceptance Facility, they can submit a notarized parental consent form. This form DS-3053 is the parental consent form for the absentee parent or guardian. It can be found on the Child Passport Checklist.

If one of the parents is not available because they are missing, in jail, absentee, or any other reason, you may want to submit Form DS-5525. Please click here for more information on this form. In the unfortunate circumstance that a parent is deceased, the death certificate will need to be presented as well.

What if I can’t find the birth certificate?

The birth certificate is required for all new passport applications and every child passport application. The birth certificate must be the long form birth certificate, which means the parents names are listed. If you have an expired passport previously issued, this may also be used in place of the birth certificate. This requirement is for proof of citizenship. If you cannot locate the birth certificate, you will need to contact the hospital or county of the applicant’s birth for the birth certificate. If you need it faster, we can also help you secure a new birth certificate. Order the Express Birth Certificate here. Or click here for more info: birth certificate
Additionally, if there has been an adoption, the adoption paperwork would need to be presented.






Facebook Comments