Passport Name Change for Adoption

This page provides details on how to process a passport name change for adoption. Moreover, the instructions for a passport name change will depend on the age of the applicant and specific circumstances.

Please take your time to review this information.

Passport Name Change for AdoptionGeneral Passport Name Change Information

You must apply for a new updated passport with name changes due to marriage, divorce, or court order.

Consider these scenarios:

Passport Name Change for Adoption

When a minor has a passport name change for adoption, he or she must apply for a new minor passport.

The passport acceptance facility will require proof of name change with the application during your visit.

Child passports expire after 5 years, while adult passports expire after 10 years.

NOTE: You can NEVER renew a child minor passports by mail like an adult passport. A child minor passport is considered ‘new’ with each application.

Instructions for the Name Change

If you legally changed your name through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered change of name, you will need to apply for a new US passport. The process and fees depend on how long it has been since your received your passport.

Please see Passport Name Change for step-by-step instructions on how to change the name on your passport.


Facebook Comments