fastport passport cardPassport Card

Introduced on July 18th, 2008. Since then, over 7 million passport cards have been issued. The Passport Card is only for U.S. citizens traveling by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. It is designed to be a less expensive and more portable alternative to the passport book. However, the passport card cannot be used for travel by air. You will need a passport book if you think you will be traveling by air. 



The card has built-in security features via the RFID chip. This chip has no personal information written on it. The RFID chip is read by the Customs and Border Protection inspectors. This process helps speed up the time spent crossing the border.  This is similar to the Enhanced Drivers License.



How to Apply

If you already have a passport book, you do not need a card to travel internationally. However, if you’d like to get a passport card still, you can apply by completing the DS-82 Passport Renewal form. If you have a passport book and a passport card, make sure you know what to do if you lose one of them. You will need to submit for a lost replacement, not a renewalIf you have never had a passport book, you can apply for a passport card by completing the DS-11 New Passport form. You will be completing the process as a New Passport Application.


Cost and Fees:

Passport Card for Adults: Valid 10 years

First time applicant: $55 ($30 for card, $25 for acceptance agent: $55 total)
Previous Passport holder applicant: $30

for Minors (children): Valid 5 years

Cost for all minors: $40

 To expedite a passport card, the U.S. State Department charges an additional $60 for their expediting fee.

First time adult applicants will pay $115 ($30 for card+ $25 for acceptance agent+ $60 govt expedite fee=$115 total).

Previous passport holders will pay $90 ($30 for card+ $60 govt expedite fee=$90 total).

Minors will pay $100 ($15 for card+ $25 for acceptance agent+ $60 govt expedite fee=$100 total).

If you need a passport card, you can apply at a local passport acceptance agent. Processing will be 4-6 weeks. If you need a expedited passport services in two weeks or less. We can get your passport for you in 24 hours if necessary.

Facebook Comments