Applying for an Overnight Passport
If you’re headed out of the country unexpectedly and need to get your passport quickly, you have an option to apply for an overnight passport. Generally, passport applicants can process an expedited passport in 3 weeks or less. However, you’ll need to show there is a need for a rush order.
How to Process an Overnight Passport
Depending on the urgency of your need for an overnight passport, you can either process your application by phone, in person or by mail.
- For the most urgent requests–what the State Department calls “life or death situations”– you may contact the National Passport Information Center by phone at (888) 874-7793.
- For passport applications that are pressing but not immediate, you can choose to go in person to an expedited passport agency .
- Otherwise, you may collect your passport documents and information and mail it all in.
Before you apply in person, you can find out which of the 28 regional expedited facilities is closest to your current location.
NOTE: In addition to all other required documents, bring proof of your immediate travels (and the expedited fee) while submitting your application.
Importantly, the mail-in option is only available for those who are renewing a passport; first-time passport holders need to make an appointment at the expedited passport offices.
To apply for an expedited service and renew your US passport by mail:
- Complete a U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals (Form DS-82).
- Do not forget to write “EXPEDITE” on the envelope.
- Include a personal check or money order for your fees payable to the U.S. Department of State. Use a security envelope.
- Make avail of a trackable delivery service to mail your application (e.g., USPS priority mail with confirmation, USPS express mail.)
Once you have your necessary documents, follow the instructions on the application and mail all required documents and fees to the listed address.
First-Time Applicants | Expedited Passport Application
To get an expedited passport, first-time applicants must provide:
Overnight Passport Fees & Processing Times
Accordingly, applying for an expedited passport comes at a price. First, you’ll have to pay the base passport book fees, which costs $110 for those 16 years old and older, and $80 for those under 16 years old. Then, you’ll also need to pay the $60 expedited fee plus shipping costs.
NOTE: For an estimate of current processing times, see Passport Processing Times Explained. The requirements for a passport application are quite stringent, so you’ll want to make sure you prepare your documents correctly; any mistakes can delay your overnight passport application.