Need A Passport Name Change – What To Do

There are a number of possible reasons for you to need a passport name change. After getting married or divorced, you’ll have to change and update your name in your passport. You may have legally changed your name or there may have been a spelling error on your passport.

You will be required to fill out form DS-5504 or DS-82 and attach other documents to prove your legal name and include recent passport photos. Let’s look at the process of changing your passport name.

Processing Passport Name Change

Fill out passport form

The first thing to do is to fill out the Form DS-5504 if you received your passport less than one year ago. If your passport was issued more than one year ago, you will be required to fill Form DS-82. According to the department of state, you will be required to fill data correction and present your current name to get your new passport.

Attach proof of your new name

In the form, attach a certified copy or original marriage certificate. This is a proof of your new name. Providing a certified copy is better but don’t worry when you attach the original because the Department of State will return it after processing your passport.

Attach your passport photo

You need to provide two recent color photographs. This is a special photo that must be 2×2 inches in size wherein your face must be clearly visible.

Include the fees

You will not be required to pay for a new passport if you fill out DS-5504 form. If you need an emergency passport and use expedited services, you will be required to include processing fees when you are applying. Also, you need to pay when you submit Form DS-82.

Mail your form

After filling the form and attaching all the necessary documents, you may now mail your form in. With Form DS-82, you will include: your recent passport, previous passport and marriage certificate or a court order to show your change of name. Together with Form DS-5504, include: your current passport and original name change document. You can fill Form DS-5504 or DS-82 online and then print it or complete it by hand. You will receive your new passport by mail when it is processed.

When you are mailing your application, make sure that you use traceable delivery method. This will make it easier and safer for you to receive your new passport. To change your name, you will be required to include certified documents to prove the change of your name. You can use expedited passport services if you need a new passport fast.




Facebook Comments