If you are planning to drive overseas, you may need to first apply for an International Driving Permit, or IDP. The IDP is a document that provides the important information from your drivers license into translations of eleven different languages. These languages are: English, French, Italian, Swedish, German, Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, Japanese, Russian and Portuguese.
How to Apply for an International Driving Permit
To apply for the IDP, you must be at least 18 years old. You will also need to have two passport-size photographs signed on the back. In addition, you will need a valid driver’s license. This means it is not revoked, suspended, or expired.
- Complete the International Drivers Permit Application.
- Submit 2 original passport photos.
- Submit a photocopy of your current driver’s license (front and back).
- Scan and forward your documents to Fastport Passport by email: email@example.com
- Fastport Passport can have your IDP ready in 2 days or less.
Upon issuance, your IDP is valid for 1 year.
NOTE: In most cases, the processing time for an IDP is usually between 2-4 business days.
- $20 permit fee.
- $50 service fee, if applicable.
- Shipping: $30 for FedEx Overnight Service.
- International shipping fees will vary by location.
You can pay your service fees on the IDP Form.
Additional IDP Information
The IDP is recognized in over 150 countries as an official document. You will need to carry this document along with your current valid US Drivers License. Furthermore, it is valid throughout South America, with the exception of Brazil and Uruguay. The IDP is often required when renting a car overseas as well. As such, this document will help you to be mobile while traveling overseas.
Though some countries are not on the official list of countries that honor the IDP, many often still do. Considering that over 150 nations do honor this agreement, you will be hard pressed to find a country that does not accept it. For example, many people ask about China. China recognizes the IDP now, as well as Hong Kong.