Uploading your own passport photo is easy. The U.S. Department of State has a great photo uploader tool. This tool will allow you to edit your own photo, uploaded from your computer. You can decide how your passport photo looks before you send it in!
So what are the passport photo requirements? They are set by the U.S. Department of State and are very strict for passport processing. Please make sure you take your time during the passport application process as any mistakes will delay your application.
Passport Photo Requirements:
- a recent color photo taken within the last six months, printed in color, on photo quality paper.
- Photo must be 2”x2” in size (51mm x 51mm) and head size must be between 1 inch and 1 ⅜ inches.
- Neutral facial expression. Directly face the camera. No shadows on your face.
- Normal clothing. No uniforms, except for religious clothing worn daily.
- Background must be white or off-white in color.
- Nothing can cover your hair or hairline, unless you normally wear it daily for religious purposes.
- No headphones, sunglasses, or similar items can be worn, unless it is a medical device worn daily. Medical certification may be required as proof.
- Prescription glasses and hearing devices worn daily may be included. No glare on glasses or the photo will be rejected.
If you are concerned about your photos, please visit a passport agency, CVS, Walgreens, or local photo shop that specializes in passport photos. You may reference the U.S. Department of State’s Passport Photo FAQ Page for additional information.
The U.S. Department of State has a photo upload tool (embedded below). You can upload your photo to crop and edit the photo to the appropriate size. Scroll below for examples of acceptable passport photos.
What does an acceptable passport photo look like?
Take a look through the examples below, all provided by the U.S. Department of State. There are helpful instructions under each image.