On this page you’ll learn How to Upload Your Own Passport Photo.
Uploading your own passport photo is easy. The U.S. Department of State has a great photo uploader tool. However, you can also use Walgreen’s Passport Photo Creator. These tools will allow you to upload and edit your own photo. You can decide how your passport photo looks before you send it in!
How to Upload Your Own Passport Photo
What are the passport photo requirements?
The photo requirements set by the U.S. Department of State are very strict for passport processing. Be sure to take your time with your passport application as any mistakes will cause a delay in the processing of your application.
Passport Photo Requirements:
- A recent color photo taken within the last 6 months, printed in color and on photo quality paper.
- Photo must be 2”x2” in size (51mm x 51mm). Your head size must be between 1 inch and 1 ⅜ inches.
- Have a neutral facial expression. Directly face the camera. No shadows on your face.
- Normal clothing. No uniforms, except for religious clothing worn daily.
- Background must be white or off-white in color.
- Nothing can cover your hair or hairline, unless you normally wear it daily for religious purposes.
- No headphones, sunglasses, or similar items can be worn, unless it is a medical device worn daily. You may have to present a medical certification as proof.
- You may wear prescription glasses and hearing devices, if worn daily. NOTE: No glare on glasses or they will reject your photo.
If you have concerns about your photos, please visit a passport acceptance agency, CVS, Walgreens, or local photo shop that specializes in passport photos.
The U.S. Department of State has a photo upload tool. You can upload your photo to crop and edit the photo to the appropriate size. Scroll below for examples of acceptable passport photos.
What does an acceptable passport photo look like?
Take a look through the examples below, all provided by the U.S. Department of State. There are helpful instructions under each image.
Once you know how to upload your own passport photo, you’ll be on your way. For more assistance, you may contact our help desk.