How to Get a Marriage License

You will be required to show proof of your legal marriage license or certificate when you apply for a new passport or if you need to legally change your name on your passport after getting married or divorced. If you need to change your name on your passport but have no changes to your marital status, a name change court decree will be required before you can receive a new passport.

Before you can travel outside of the United States after legally changing your name, you must submit the new information and all the required documents along with a new application. Depending on several different factors, including how long ago your current passport was issued, you will submit 1 of 3 different forms:

  • From DS-5504 (Issued LESS THAN 1 year ago)
  • Form DS-82 (Issued MORE THAN 1 year ago)
  • Form DS-11 (No document to prove legal name change)

Where to Get a New Marriage License or Certificate?

If you do not have the original copy of your marriage license or certificate, you can request a certified document from the Department of Vital Records. VitalChek is an official, government-authorized online service that allows you to request your marriage license from a fast, secure and easy-to-use online platform.

If you need to submit a marriage license to obtain a new passport or legally change your name after getting married or divorced, VitalChek is your number one online resource to help expedite the process. Simply fill out the easy online form, submit your payment and receive your documents in the mail with secure delivery. Then, once you have your certified documents, you can submit them along with your application.

Note: Once your name change information has been verified, your original document will be returned to you.

Facebook Comments