Find out how to get a Duplicate Birth Certificate.

How to get a Duplicate Birth Certificate

There is nothing worse than needing your birth certificate only to discover you cannot find it. However, while getting a replacement will cost some money, it is easier than you might think.

How to Get a Duplicate Birth Certificate

For natural-born U.S. citizens, start by contacting the vital records office for the state in which you were born.

There you can find information about how to request your birth certificate, any required documentation or forms that you need to complete, and how much a duplicate copy will cost.

Also, you can find this information and make requests for a duplicate birth certificate online.

Born in Another Country?

For those who were born abroad but without parental military service, you’ll need to request a copy of your birth certificate from the U.S. Department of State. The fee is $50. You’ll need to sign it in the presence of a notary.

Moreover, you can find out what to include in your request from the DMV.

NOTE: If you were born in another country but not as a U.S. citizen, you’ll need to request your birth certificate from your country of origin.

Born on a U.S. Military Base Abroad?

If you were born abroad but on a U.S. military base, you can follow the same process for those born in another country.

However, if your parents did not file a Consular Report of Birth Abroad when you were born, you must contact the:

  • Hospital where you were born
  • Operator of the military base where you were born
  • Public affairs office of the appropriate branch of the military

As there are many different uses for your birth certificate, it is important to have one on hand. If you lost your birth certificate, do not wait to request a Duplicate Birth Certificate until you have an urgent need.

Rush or expedited orders for Duplicate Birth Certificates are available. However, these are considerably more expensive than other kind of passport request.

Facebook Comments