On this page, you’ll learn how to expedite a passport at the post office.
How to Expedite a Passport at the Post Office
NOTE: See Expedited Passport Services for complete instructions on how to expedite a passport at the post office.
What is a Passport Acceptance Agent?
First and foremost, passport acceptance agents are approved by the U.S. Department of State to accept and approve your passport documents.
There are more than 8,000 acceptance agents in the United States. Since nearly every town has a local passport acceptance facility, it is a convenient option if you’re not in a rush.
Routine passport processing at a local post office takes between 4-6 weeks.
While there are other locations that can also process your passport (see Passport Acceptance Facility), the post office is normally the first stop for people applying for their passports. It falls under the category of a ‘local acceptance agent.’
NOTE: The only circumstance that does not require a visit to an acceptance agent is an adult passport renewal (a passport less than 5 years expired).
Fees to Expedite a Passport & Processing Times
- You must pay the expedited passport fee for each passport at $60.
- The processing time for a passport at a post office is 3 weeks door-to-door.
See Passport Processing Times Explained to learn more about processing times for US passport applications at the post office.
NOTE: Also, please note that the Post Office does not currently have a policy to expedite any faster than 3 weeks.
Related Links to How to Expedite a Passport at the Post Office
Also, you may contact PassportsOnline.ORG directly for further assistance in expediting your passport via post office or a private expediting company.
Fastest Service: Private Passport Expeditor
A private passport expediting agency speeds up the process. The fees are additional to government fees, but they often have guarantees that can secure your passport in as little as 2 days. You will still need to visit the post office or local passport acceptance facility.
To use a private passport expeditor, you’ll need to:
- Gather your documents and photos before taking them to your local passport acceptance facility.
- Acceptance agent will verify signatures and photos, and seal envelope.
- Then you’ll send in the sealed envelope to your expeditor.
- The private expeditor will process your application and get your passport made in 2 weeks or less (or however fast you need it).