How Expedited Passports Work
To apply for an expedited passport, you must first qualify for the service. Additionally, the U.S. State Department requires travelers to show confirmed travel plans before expediting a passport application. You may present a flight itinerary, hotel reservation, business letter, or e-tickets.
To find out if you qualify for expedited passport service, please see Passport Flow Chart Infographic.
Using a Private Passport Expediting Agency
To use a private passport expediting agency:
- Step 1: First, gather all the documents as per the checklist.
- Allow yourself 30 minutes to thoroughly review and complete this process.
- Step 2: Next, bring all the documents to your local passport acceptance agency. for verification of your identity and documents.
- Step 3: Once the acceptance agent approves the documents, he or she will place your documents into a specially sealed envelope. The acceptance agent will then return the envelope to you, which you will send to the passport expeditor service.
- Step 4: Finally, once the expeditor company receives your envelope, they will contact you if there are any issues.
- Most times, if you followed the checklist correctly, there will be no issues. Normally, these companies work closely with the U.S. State Department to process every application and deliver your passport as fast as you need it (i.e., next day overnight shipping is an option).
Since you are sending the expediting company a number of vital documents including birth certificates, marriage certificates, proof of name change, etc, it is important you use a tracking service like FedEx or UPS when you overnight the documents.
First thing to remember, check the tracking number to make sure the company signed for your package. If you see that it received your package, you can sit back and relax. No news is good news in this business.
Additional Passport Information
For adult passports that are less than 5 years past the expiration and not lost, stolen, or damaged, the renewal process is even easier.
Next, you can simply gather the documents from the checklist and mail them to the expediting company. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call 877-910-7277 or see Frequently Asked Questions for more information.