Do I Need a Passport for the Bahamas?

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 11.03.34 AM Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 11.03.21 AM



Do I Need a Passport for the Bahamas?

You must have a valid U.S. passport in order to enter The Bahamas. This is a requirement set by the government of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas and the U.S. Department of State. There is no visa required to visit the Bahamas, but you must have at least two pages blank for the entry stamp. If you need more pages or you need to renew your passport, please do so before your trip.

The Bahamas is an English-speaking island nation located in the Caribbean Sea. It is roughly the size of California. The economy is driven largely by tourism and financial services. Most of the tourists are from the U.S., averaging over 5 million tourists per year. The Bahamas gets a great deal of its food and manufactured items from the U.S. and Latin American nations. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Bureau of Customs and Border Protection maintains “preclearance” facilities at the airports in Nassau and Freeport. Travelers to the U.S., including business people and tourists, are interviewed and inspected before departure, allowing faster connection times in the U.S.

All U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport in order to enter The Bahamas. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter or re-enter the United States. Air passengers entering for tourism must have a round trip ticket. Travelers should be prepared to show onward travel arrangements to immigration authorities if requested. If you only have a one way ticket, you may be denied entry to the Bahamas. U.S. travelers by sea on a “closed-loop cruise” may enter using a passport book, passport card, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document.

If you are traveling with a minor, make sure you have their proper documentation (specifically a passport). Any child traveling without one of the parents listed upon the birth certificate must have a letter from the absent parent granting permission for the child to travel. This should be sworn before a notary public and signed by the absent parent(s). If the parent is deceased, a certified death certificate may be necessary.

It is advisable to have the minor carry a written notarized consent letter from both parents (if both are listed on the child’s certificate of birth) before sending your child to travel as a minor with a guardian or chaperone.

Embassy of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas
2220 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008
Phone: 202-319-2660
Fax: 202-319-2668

U.S. Embassy Nassau

P.O. Box N-8197
#42 Queen Street
Nassau, The Bahamas

Telephone: +(242) 322-1181

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(242) 322-1181

Fax: +(242) 356-7174


Do I Need a Passport for the Bahamas? Yes! Make sure you have a valid passport for your trip to the Bahamas!

Facebook Comments