damaged passport fastport passport

If you have a damaged passport, you may need to replace it. However, normal wear and tear on your passport does not necessarily mean it is invalid.

There are numerous ways that your passport can become damaged:

  • it’s handled by you and passport control officers.
  • stuffed into bags and pockets.
  • carried through difficult climates.
  • dropped in a puddle, or worse.

When your U.S. passport has considerable damage on the cover or the page displaying your personal data or photo (e.g., water damage, large tears, unauthorized markings, missing pages, etc.), you will need to submit an application for a new passport.

Continue reading this page to learn how to replace a damaged U.S. passport.

How to Replace a Damaged Passport

NOTE: The normal processing time is between 4-6 weeks. To expedite your passport, see the Expedited Passport Order Form.

To replace a damaged U.S. passport and apply for a new passport, you must visit your local passport acceptance agency and submit:

  • The damaged passport.
  • A U.S. Passport Application (Form DS-11).
  • Statement of passport damage:
    • Write a statement that briefly describes the damage to your passport.
  • 1 proof of citizenship (original or certified copy) AND a photocopy, such as:
    • A valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired).
    • S. birth certificate (it must meet specific requirements).
    • Certificate of Naturalization.
    • Certificate of Citizenship.
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth.
  • 1 proof of identity. such as:
    • An in-state, fully valid driver’s license
    • A valid, undamaged U.S. passport book or card.
    • A U.S. military ID.
  • 1 passport photo.
  • Fees (see below)

Damaged Passport Fees:

The fees to replace a damaged U.S. passport are as follows:

U.S. Department of State Fee: $110.00 (approx.). See Passport Fees for more information.

You can pay via check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State. However, be sure to write your date of birth on the check or money order. If your payment is made incorrectly, your regional passport agency will deny your passport application.

Acceptance Agency Fee: $25.00

Remember to leave the check or money order blank, as your acceptance agent will instruct you on whom you will make the check or money order payable.

For more information on the cost for your passport, see Passport Fees.

Expedited Fee: $60

To learn about processing times and expediting your passport, see Expedited Passport Services.

Facebook Comments