To prove your identity when applying for a passport, you may choose from the following list of acceptable documents for proof of identity:

  • Certificate of Citizenship (If you are missing your birth certificate, you may order an Express Birth Certificate Replacement here.)
  • Naturalization Certificate.
  • Previous U.S. passport (mutilated, altered, or damaged passports are not acceptable as proof of identity).
  • Current, valid: 
    • 1) Driver’s license issued more than 6 months ago.
    • 2) Government ID: city, state, federal.
    • 3) Military ID: military and dependent.

NOTE: Your Social Security Card does not prove your identity. If you cannot present primary identification, you must submit as much secondary identification as possible.

Supplemental Secondary Identification

If you need to submit supplemental ID, please visit our Supplemental Secondary Identification Page. The U.S. Department of State requires secondary evidence of identification if you do not have adequate primary identification when you visit your local passport acceptance facility.

Regardless, we recommend you bring in additional evidence of identification in case there is an issue. Supplemental forms of identification will help the acceptance agent.

Acceptable Supplemental Identification

– Non-Drivers ID Card– Library Card– Lease Agreement
– Work Identification– Credit Card– Voter’s Registration Card
– Social Security Card– School ID– Baptismal Certificate
– Health Insurance Card– High School Year Book– Tax Records

Additional Proof of Identity Information

First, you can use 1 of the following documents as passport proof of identity:

  • Provide a copy (front/back) of your valid driver’s license – valid for at least 6 months.
  • If you do not have a valid driver’s license or it was recently issued, you must appear at the passport acceptance agency with an identifying witness who has a driver’s license or a valid passport. The state will not accept a permit or non-driver ID as a valid driver’s license.

A Combination of Identifying Documents

As shown above, we recommend you bring in as many forms of identification as possible. It helps to provide copies of at least 3 supplemental forms of ID to avoid any delays in processing your application with the U.S. Department of State.

Importantly, if your identification is new (i.e., less than 6 months old), you must bring additional identification forms and present a combination of documents to verify your personal identity.

For example, your Social Security Card + Credit Card + Employee ID + Library Card

NOTE: Furthermore, these documents are not acceptable as secondary identification when presented alone.

An Identifying Witness

In addition, you may need to bring an identifying witness with you. Accordingly, this is a person who can swear to your identity and:

  • Be present at the time of application with a primary valid ID.
  • Have known you for at least 2 years.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  • Fill out Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness in the presence of a Passport Agent

Name Change

If you changed your legal name by way of marriage or otherwise, you must provide evidence of the name change. Acceptable documents (must be a certified copy) include:

  • A marriage certificate.
  • A name change court decree.

Moreover, if none of the above listed documents are available, you will need:

  1. A combination of signature documents (not acceptable alone as identification):
    • For example, your Social Security card, credit card, bank card, library card, etc.


2. A person who can vouch for you. He/she must:

  • Have known you for at least 2 years.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  • Have valid ID.
  • Fill out a Form DS-71 in the presence of a passport agent.
Facebook Comments